Sunday, March 24, 2013

Guinness braised corned beef with concannon potato's

For St. Patrick's day I decided to do something special for my homeless buddies, who obviously never get enough time indoors or enough home-cooked meals.  I saw this cool recipe on Octoberfarms.com, (recipe here,) with excellent picture directions. 
I decided to try it and do my own pictures, too. 
Here's the effort. Not as good as theirs but still excellent. 
(At least the food!)

 I started out with an invite, a fancy invite, to my three homeless buddies, Bill, Doug, and Keith.
Keith by the way, bought us the food, (he got his food stamps,) and I cooked it.
Plus, I figured "St. Patrick's Day, let's go Irish," so I got the booze.  Here's the invite:

You are cordially fucking invited to a party!


This homeless guy I know is paying for the meal, (ha ha.)
(Y’all know who he is.)

And I’m doing the cooking and boy is it going to be something great!

 ---PLUS ---

I’VE GOT THE BOOZE!

I’ve got two, two, not one but two, special alcoholic treats!
There is a slight possibility that you may enjoy yourself. I’m part Irish, after all.

JB


2 – 2:30 pm peoples.
Thanks.



Then...
I started with a 3 3-1/2 lb brisket with the spices.


I fried up a few slices of bacon.

Threw the brisket into the bacon grease and browned it nicely.

Cut up some carrots, (also onion and celery which I forgot to photograph.) 

Tossed them into the same grease after the corned beef came out. 

Nice brisket, baby.

 Added 3 cups water to the veggies...
(I didn't have stock)

And a bottle of Guinness... 

Put the brisket back in and added the spices that came with it.

Put it into the oven 

Add your parsley, thyme, and peppercorns.
Then bake at 325 for 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until meat is falling apart. 

Boil your potato's then remove them from the water.  

Boil the thinly sliced cabbage in the same water. 

Mash the potato's with milk and butter 

Drain your cabbage and add it to the potato's.

Add your chopped bacon to the potato's

Mix well and serve ...

... with the corned beef ...

And St. Brendan's Irish Cream, and Guinness Stout.

All in all it was an excellent St. Patrick's Day dinner.
To be honest, I almost didn't mix the cabbage into the potato's.
It just sounded so strange.
I did though.
Try it.

I've tried St. Brendan's Irish Cream in side-by-side taste tests with Bailey's, Carolyn's and Emmet's. I prefer the St. Brendan's. It's made in a real dairy with double-rich cream and Pure Irish Mist Whiskey.
How ya gonna beat that?
It's one of the best straight-out-of-the-bottle drinks you'll ever find.

No comments:

Post a Comment